Exercising discretion and independent judgement, performs centralized accounting functions including but not limited to month end responsibilities, preparing general ledger entries, reconciling accounts and managing accounts receivables.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs month end financial responsibilities including bank reconciliations and general ledger account schedules without direct oversight and using independent discretion and judgement.
- Monitors outstanding checks for general and payroll cash accounts to ensure checks do not become stale.
- Imports daily accounting data from membership and program software and resolves any discrepancies.
- Prepares and records miscellaneous bank deposits.
- Prepares and records monthly general journal entries.
- Manages accounts receivable balances. Reviews and recommends best practices without direct oversight and using independent discretion and judgement. Provides leadership to the Directors in implementing and maintaining these best practices and resolving customer account issues.
- Processes monthly billings to DHHS (Child Care Subsidy) and LPS Foundation (Community Learning Centers).
- Responsible for DHHS Child Care Subsidy registrations for eligible Youth, Teen & Family programs.
- Assists with preparation of year-end audit schedules.
- Supports the annual budgeting process and provides other administrative support to the Accounting Manager and CFO.
- Reviews and processes annual 1099 forms in compliance with current IRS guidelines.
- Compiles, maintains and submits or distributes external and internal reports.
- Provides back-up assistance to the Accounting Specialist including but not limited to payroll and accounts payable.
- Provides back-up assistance to the Membership Services Director including but not limited to providing best practices and solutions for the technical, accounting and financial segment of membership and programs and successfully completing critical aspects of deliverables related to the business function of membership.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the databases related to the job functions (eg. HR/payroll, accounting, membership, etc.) Takes initiative to remain up to date on the capabilities of the systems and actively implements into department processes/procedures.
- Uses creativity and initiative to generate and propose ideas and best practices that keep the operations of the department up to date and efficient. Conducts research as needed.
- Maintains flexibility as workloads change throughout the department and assumes responsibilities to support the ongoing success of the YMCA as a whole.
- Receives and carries out instructions.
- Receives and protects confidential information.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as needed or assigned by management.
- Performs other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members, including but not limited to housekeeping, sanitation, etc. throughout all YMCA buildings and program areas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read, write, talk, see and hear.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Ability to exhibit initiative, responsibility and flexibility and maintain organization and detail in a changing environment.
- Knowledgeable in accounting, financial and payroll procedures.
- General knowledge and proficient use of a computer and computer programs to include MS Office products including proficient use and experience with spreadsheets.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and handle multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to maintain a high level of detail.
- Ability to work with all levels of YMCA staff, members and program participants and establish effective working relationships.
- Possesses a strong understanding of the YMCA and its purpose, mission and values. Demonstrates this understanding through behavior and actions that support the purpose, mission and values.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge of general ledger and accounting functions.