Business Services - Controller/Director of Accounting
DISCOVER MORE THAN A JOB
Exercising discretion and independent judgement, assumes responsibility for the day to day administration of the centralized accounting operations ensuring that legal and audit requirements are met and that best practices and maximum efficiency are obtained.
The main objective is to provide accurate, timely financial reporting and analysis for the executive team to best understand the overall health of the Association and drive strategic decisions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directly carries out supervisory responsibilities to effectively manage personnel in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; auditing and appraising performance; approving and reporting payroll; conducting staff meetings; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems without direct oversight and with independent discretion and judgment.
- Provides direct oversight and leadership to the general accounting functions, accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll including but not limited to overseeing and reviewing the work of staff, policies/procedures, database effectiveness, upgrades and implementations, etc. Maintains a working knowledge of subordinate staff’s job duties and provides backup assistance as needed.
- Using discretion and independent judgment, analyzes and audits processes and implements operational efficiencies, appropriate systems and internal controls to adequately safeguard the YMCA’s financial resources and to provide a solid basis for accurately reporting financial data.
- Assumes a lead role and provides leadership to the annual budget process including forecasting, benchmarking, issuing guidelines and procedures, training and assisting staff, overseeing data input, auditing data and preparing reports.
- Conducts month-end and year-end closings and prepares financial statements and reports.
- Monthly tracks capital expenditures against their relative budget.
- Manages the annual audit and preparation of the IRS Form 990. Acts as a liaison with the audit team and the CFO.
- Reviews and applies for annual property tax exemptions.
- Maintains Association depreciation schedules and updates as needed or at a minimum annually.
- Collects and maintains data needed for grant applications and reports.
- Compiles, maintains and submits or distributes external and internal reports.
- Takes personal initiative to keep up to date with accounting trends and makes recommendations to the CFO as needed.
Leadership of Branch Staff
- Provides support, guidance and leadership to branch staff and acts as a resource for area of responsibility.
- Places training, development and preparing branch staff to be effective in their positions as a priority and provides quality new hire Director training and ongoing mentoring/coaching and training opportunities related to area of responsibility.
- Assists with other Association projects, research or reporting needs as directed by CEO, CFO or CHRO. Examples include, program pricing, market analysis, cost analysis, software implementations, etc.
- Uses creativity and initiative to generate and propose ideas and best practices that keep the operations of the department up to date and efficient. Conducts research as needed.
- Provides back-up assistance to other staff within the administrative office.
- Develops and maintains procedures for job duties.
- Keeps informed of Association policies and procedures, answers internal and external questions.
- Monitors and maintains departmental record systems, files and paperwork.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the databases related to the job functions. Takes initiative to remain up to date on the capabilities of the systems and actively implements into department processes/procedures. Serves as the YMCA’s Executive contact for the UKG and SGA systems.
- Maintains flexibility as workloads change throughout the department and assumes responsibilities to support the ongoing success of the YMCA as a whole.
- Receives and carries out instructions.
- Receives and protects confidential information
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance. Participates in evening, weekend, on call and special events as required.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as needed or assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- In depth financial accounting knowledge including but not limited to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), local, state and federal tax laws and business regulations.
- Ability to read, write, talk, see and hear.
- Ability to exhibit initiative, responsibility and flexibility and maintain organization and detail in a changing environment.
- Advanced knowledge and use of a computer and computer programs including advanced knowledge of MS Office products.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and handle multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to maintain a high level of detail.
- Ability to work with all levels of YMCA staff, members and program participants and establish effective working relationships.
- Possesses a strong understanding of the YMCA and its purpose, mission and values. Demonstrates this understanding through behavior and actions that support the purpose, mission and values
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in a related field and previous accounting experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certified Public Accountant Preferred