Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area. Knows, understands, and consistently applies and enforces safety and pool rules, policies and guidelines.
- Knows all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Communicates with and maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Responds seriously and confidentially to suspicious and inappropriate behaviors and follows mandated reporting requirements related to abuse.
- Documents and notifies Director of incidents/accidents, member questions/concerns, damaged equipment, supply needs, etc.
- Is responsible for assuring the outlined procedures for opening/closing the pool area are fully completed.
- Performs general housekeeping tasks to clean and maintain the pool area as directed.
- Records and keeps accurate records of all pool chemical readings and takes appropriate action as needed.
- Assists in overseeing the party and off-hour rental programs as needed.
- Maintains certifications listed under Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations.
- Receives and carries out instructions.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance. Secures a substitute if unable to cover scheduled shift and notifies Director of schedule substitutions prior to the change.
- Performs other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members, including but not limited to housekeeping, sanitation, etc. throughout all YMCA buildings and program areas.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read, write, talk, see and hear.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks at one time.
- Ability to perform rescue skills.
- Must be able to connect with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to perform and successfully complete minimum lifeguarding skills and emergency/safety drills at any time as requested by Supervisor.
- Possesses a strong understanding of the YMCA and its purpose, mission and values. Demonstrates this understanding through behavior and actions that support the purpose, mission and values.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Previous aquatics experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
YMCA, Red Cross, or American Safety and Health Institute Lifeguard Certified
CPR For Lifeguards, AED and First Aid Certified through Red Cross, YMCA or American Safety & Heart Institute