Executive - Chief Financial Officer
Make a Lasting Difference
The YMCA of Lincoln, NE, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility, is seeking an innovative, strategic and community minded individual to serve as its next Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The position supports the work of the Y and helps position the Y as a community collaborator to address critical issues.
The CFO serves on the CEO’s senior leadership team, oversees and manages all financial matters, investments and information systems/technology, and provides strategic direction and leadership for YMCA business operations and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or equivalent; MBA, CPA or CMA a plus.
- Seven or more years of substantive experience in accounting and financial management, non-profit sector and knowledge of fund accounting preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of budget development, financial reporting, cash management, business taxes, banking and debt financing instruments.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively leading & developing a staff team.
- Experience managing IT operations and related systems.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel with advanced abilities and knowledge of and expertise with computerized accounting, CRM and HRIS systems.
- Possess high level of integrity and ability to use good judgement and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the quality, accuracy, and thoroughness of all accounting activities of the YMCA. This includes accounting for accounts receivable, accounts payable, inventory control, payroll, fixed assets, general ledger, etc. Ensures the integrity of general ledger and financial document filing/retrieval systems.
- Works closely with CEO and members of the senior leadership team along with the Finance Committee to provide financial reporting and information as scheduled and requested. Conducts analyses, identifies financial trends, and makes recommendations to solve problems and enhance financial performance where possible. Prepares financial information and attends regular Board of Director and other assigned committee meetings and provides financial reports to the board.
- Oversees the development of the annual operating budget, including all branch budgets. Works closely with operations staff to ensure that branch budgets are well-planned, realistic, and prepared in a timely manner.
- Implements appropriate systems and internal controls to adequately safeguard the YMCA’s financial resources and to provide a solid basis for accurately reporting financial data.
- Oversees the annual audit and meets periodically with the outside auditors to maintain communications and keep them informed of changes in the YMCA. Ensures that current accounting standards and legal requirements are met.
- Oversees preparation of reports to YMCA of the USA and governmental agencies. Oversees preparation of tax returns including IRS Form 990.
- Maintains all necessary records and accounting reports and records all transactions on a timely basis.
- Responsible for renewals and maintenance of all insurance policies including general liability, professional liability, director and officer and workers compensation insurance.
- Manages good working relationships with professional service providers, such as bankers, attorneys, accountants, insurance companies, other financial institutions and vendors. Ensures that quality services are received, and fees are reasonable.
- Provides oversight of annual and capital campaigns from a financial perspective and maintains active involvement during the campaign.
- Manages the staff and oversees the operations of the accounting/finance, membership/program services, and other assigned departments.
- Oversees all information technology hardware and software needs. Assumes a lead role in recommending, evaluation and implementing software conversions. Continually evaluates the relationship with the Association’s IT service provider.
- Actively participates &/or leads department and association meetings and/or related trainings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.