Swim Lesson Instructor
Instructs children and adults on how to swim in accordance with the Lincoln YMCA Swim Program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plans lessons, instructs, tests and evaluates program participants.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the class participants. Knows, understands, and consistently applies and enforces safety and pool rules, policies and guidelines.
- Responds seriously and confidentially to suspicious and inappropriate behaviors and follows mandated reporting requirements related to abuse.
- Knows all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Communicates and maintains personal contact with parents to discuss achievements and concerns related to their child’s progress.
- Documents and notifies Director of incidents/accidents, member questions/concerns, attendance records and enrollment changes.
- Is responsible for assuring the outlined procedures for preparing and picking up the pool area before and after classes are fully completed.
- Assists in the training of new instructors and oversees teaching assistants and volunteers.
- Assists in overseeing the party and off-hour rental programs as needed.
- Receives and carries out instructions.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance. Secures a substitute if unable to cover scheduled shift and notifies Director of schedule substitutions prior to the change.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read, write, talk, see and hear.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks at one time.
- Ability to perform rescue skills.
- Must be able to connect with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Possesses a strong understanding of the YMCA and its purpose, mission and values. Demonstrates this understanding through behavior and actions that support the purpose, mission and values.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Previous competitive swimming, teaching or related experience.