Exercising discretion and independent judgement, manages and/or assists with centralized accounting functions directly related to the business of the YMCA including but not limited to payroll, general ledger, month-end processing and the annual budget process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Using relevant knowledge and expertise, manages the Association’s payroll functions to ensure staff are paid in an accurate, legal and timely manner.
- Accurately performs processes to enter and audit information in the payroll and accounting systems.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for staff, contractors and supervisors in matters related to time/attendance, deductions and payroll processing. Using discretion and independent judgement resolves conflicts.
- Prepares pay data such as garnishments, PTO, insurance and retirement deductions.
- Composes and remits taxes, garnishment withholdings, retirement and other filings.
- Prepares system for W-2 distribution and year-end duties.
- Documents any discrepancies to maintain a clear record of reconciliation and adjustments.
- Works with current vendors and bank to resolve technical issues related to time/attendance, payroll deductions and other pay related issues.
- Trains staff and provides ongoing instruction on use of the time/attendance and payroll software including entering time, approving timecards, etc.
- Assumes a lead role in managing the implementation process of enhancements and upgrades to the payroll software. Collaborates with users and provides, input, guidance and leadership.
- Performs month-end financial responsibilities including reconciliations of bank accounts and other general ledger account reconciliations to subsidiary schedules without direct oversight and using independent discretion and judgement.
- Monitors the general fund and payroll accounts for stale checks and uses personal judgement to determine the appropriate course of action and disposition of individual items.
- Downloads daily accounting data from membership and program software systems and uploads into the accounting software system. Any variances or discrepancies are analyzed and resolved in all appropriate systems.
- Prepares journal entries to record miscellaneous bank deposits.
- Prepares and records monthly general journal entries.
- Assist with the annual budget process by analyzing branch budgets and noting discrepancies.
- Provides administrative support to the Accounting Manager and CFO.
- Assists with the preparation of year-end schedules and other required tasks related to the year-end audit.
- Compiles, maintains and submits or distributes external and internal reports.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the databases related to the job functions (e.g., HR/payroll, accounting, membership, etc.) Takes initiative to remain up to date on the capabilities of the systems and actively implements into department processes/procedures.
- Uses creativity and initiative to generate and propose ideas and best practices that keep the operations of the department up to date and efficient. Conducts research as needed.
- Provides back-up assistance to other staff within the Accounting Department
- Maintains flexibility as workloads change throughout the department and assumes responsibilities to support the ongoing success of the YMCA as a whole.
- Receives and carries out instructions.
- Receives and protects confidential information
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as needed or assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read, write, talk, see and hear.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Ability to exhibit initiative, responsibility and flexibility and maintain organization and detail in a changing environment.
- Knowledgeable in accounting, financial and payroll procedures.
- General knowledge and proficient use of a computer and computer programs to include MS Office products including proficient use and experience with spreadsheets.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and handle multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to maintain a high level of detail.
- Ability to work with all levels of YMCA staff, members and program participants and establish effective working relationships.
- Possesses a strong understanding of the YMCA and its purpose, mission and values. Demonstrates this understanding through behavior and actions that support the purpose, mission and values.
- Performs other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members, including but not limited to housekeeping, sanitation, etc. throughout all YMCA buildings and program areas.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in accounting field or equivalent experience.