Swim Team Coach - Competitive
Develops and implements a quality, competitive swim program to include instruction and conditioning of swim team participants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directly carries out leadership responsibilities to effectively oversee, train, and guide swim team participants. Responsibilities include explaining and demonstrating effective stroke techniques. preparing and prescribing safe and effective workouts specific to the swimmer’s level, coordinating meet entries and providing guidance and coaching at swim meet.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area. Knows, understands, and consistently applies and enforces safety and pool rules, policies and guidelines.
- Responds seriously and confidentially to suspicious and inappropriate behaviors and follows mandated reporting requirements related to abuse.
- Knows all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Documents and notifies Director of incidents/accidents, member or staff questions/concerns, attendance records and enrollment changes.
- Maintains certifications listed under Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations and completes all other trainings required for level of swim team within timeline designated.
- Responsible for assisting with home swim meets including but not limited to collecting entries, working with parents, guardians and volunteers to cover swim meet responsibilities (timers, officials, concessions), etc.
- Travels to off-site swim meets. This may include overnight stays.
- Responsible for coordinating and attending monthly swim team functions and end of the season banquet.
- Provides weekly communication with parents/guardians via email as well as regular verbal and written communication about swimmer’s progress and achievements.
- Updates bulletin boards, parent handbook and other marketing and informational materials.
- Receives and carries out instructions.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance. Secures a substitute if unable to cover scheduled shift and notifies Director of schedule substitutions prior to the change.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to read, write, talk, see and hear.
Ability to perform multiple tasks at one time.
Ability to perform rescue skills.
Must be able to connect with people of diverse backgrounds
Possesses a strong understanding of the YMCA and its purpose, mission and values. Demonstrates this understanding through behavior and actions that support the purpose, mission and values.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Competitive swimming background and/or coaching/related experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPR, AED, First Aid Certified
Lifeguard Certified As Required For Level Of Swim Team